Rack of Lamb - a delicious dish that can be prepared at home
If you are a real gourmet or just a lover of delicious food, then by all means try the lamb rack. But first, find out how to prepare and select the ribs, as well as how to prepare them correctly.
What is this dish?
The rack of a lamb is part of a loin with the ribs of a young lamb, which is usually served in one piece, consisting of 7-8 ribs. The loin itself can be attributed to the high-grade portion of lamb carcass, so the dishes from it are very tasty and appetizing.
And if we consider that the meat of lamb is used, then we can conclude that the finished flesh will be deprived of all the shortcomings of classic mutton, including an abundance of fat and dense veins, an unpleasant smell and increased stiffness. The meat of the lamb is tender, odorless and almost dietary.
Prepare the squares in different ways and with a variety of ingredients, but most often it is baked in the oven or fried with vegetables and various spices.It is difficult to spoil a square, but it will be tasty and tender only if you choose the right meat, prepare it and know the features of cooking.
How to make a choice?
How to choose meat for a boil? A few basic rules:
- As a rule, in the shops and in the markets, whole portions of the carcass with loin and ribs are sold, but you can also find a finished, processed car with stripped bones. If you do not want to waste time processing, then select the second option, it is more convenient. If you purchase the whole part, ask the seller to cut off the so-called “brush” - part of the spine. Only ribs and loin should remain.
- As for the origin of the meat, it is better to choose the loin and ribs of local lambs, Australian or New Zealand. The last two options are more expensive, but are of high quality.
- Pay attention to the color of the pulp. The more dark shade she has, the more grown up she was. Since you are going to cook a rack of lamb, then choose the lightest meat, it will be tender and young.
- Lamb fed almost exclusively on mother's milk, so meat does not have fatty layers.If the lamb was quite adult (up to 5-6 months), then surely he managed to try other foods, so that fat can be found in the pulp. But it should be a bit, and it should be white, soft and elastic.
- If the flesh has an unpleasant smell, then it indicates that the ram was quite old or was not neutered. In order to fully appreciate the smell, burn the fat.
- Push down on the pulp. After pressing it should quickly come back to its original shape.
- It is best to choose fresh or chilled meat, because after freezing it loses some of its properties and becomes not so tender and useful. How to understand that the pulp was frozen? Push it with your finger. If the remaining dent was filled with blood or liquid, the meat was subjected to freezing, and several times. If the fossa is dry, but disappears for a long time, then, most likely, the meat was frozen once. And if the dent does not disappear completely, the meat is probably spoiled.
- The surface of the meat should be wet and slightly shiny, but not slippery and not sticky.
- The bones of a lamb are white with a bluish-pink tinge. The bones of an adult ram will be white, and the old one will be yellow or gray.
- Estimate the size of the ribs and the distance between them. If they are large, and the distance between them is significant, then the ram was an adult. The lamb ribs are small and close to each other.
How to prepare?
The main stages of preparation:
- First you need to cut off all fatty layers, as well as tendons, located under the ribs. Only the flesh should remain, everything else is removed.
- If there is a rather thick layer of meat on the outer side of the ribs, then first make an incision at a distance of 5-6 centimeters from the ends of the ribs. With the help of a knife, separate the edge of the pulp from the bones, then grab it with the other hand, pull it up and at the same time cut it with a knife.
- Now you need to clean the bone. To do this, move away from the edges of the ribs about 5-7 centimeters and cut all the films between the ribs with a knife. Do it from two sides. Now cut all the excess with a knife, starting from the edge of the stone. First make one cut to cut on the film, then another. Do the same with the other ribs.
- Scratch the remains of meat and film with a sharp knife, so that the bones remain absolutely clean.
How to cook?
How to cook a rack of lamb? Some prefer traditional frying onfrying pan, others - cooking on the grill, and others - baking. We offer you several cooking options.
Juicy, tasty and low-fat turns into a boil cooked with vegetables in the oven. You will need the following ingredients:
- rack of lamb;
- 3-4 potatoes;
- 200 grams of cherry tomatoes;
- 2 bell peppers;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- 1 lemon;
- 1 onion;
- 10 fresh basil leaves;
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme;
- 100 ml of olive oil;
- salt and pepper to taste.
- First prepare the bob. For convenience, divide it into several parts (one or two edges in each).
- Cook the marinade. To do this, mix olive oil (not all, 3-5 tablespoons leave to lubricate the form) with lemon juice, salt, pepper, chopped green basil and thyme. Pour the pickled marinade and leave for half an hour.
- Take the vegetables. Onion peel and cut into half rings. Peel and chop the garlic on the garlic press. Peel potatoes and cut into slices. Pepper seeds and stem, cut in any convenient way. Cherry tomatoes can be simply cut in half.
- Take the form for baking, grease its bottom copiously with olive oil so that nothing burns. Kars rub with chopped garlic, put in a form.
- Spread the vegetables between the pieces. First, lay the potatoes, then the onions, then the peppers, and then the cherry tomatoes. On top of everything you can sprinkle with olive oil.
- Send the form to the oven, preheated to 180-120 degrees, for 40 minutes. Do not dry the bob, otherwise it will be tough and not at all juicy.
This recipe allows you to cook both a bakery and a side dish.
You can fry a bob and serve it with an appetizing and savory pomegranate sauce. To prepare you will need:
- 400 grams of a square of lamb;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- 3 sprigs of rosemary;
- salt to taste;
- 1 grenade;
- 1 onion;
- 200 ml of red wine (it is better to use a dry one);
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander;
- 1 pinch of black pepper;
- salt to taste
- First, peel and chop the garlic in a garlic press. Rosemary chop.
- Cut the square into several portions, rub each with garlic, rosemary and salt.
- It is better to fry carrots in olive oil. Heat it in a pan and fry each piece until golden brown, pressing it so that the flesh is fried. Then place the bob in the oven for literally 10 minutes.
- Now prepare the sauce. To do this, squeeze the juice from the grains of pomegranate. First, remember them in a mortar, and then squeeze through a cloth or gauze. If all this seems difficult to you, use ready-made natural pomegranate juice (about 100 ml).
- Peel the onion, cut it into half rings and place it in a frying pan, on which the squares were fried. When the onion gets a pleasant golden hue and softness, pour wine and pomegranate juice into the pan. Reduce heat to low. As you cook, the wine and juice will evaporate, and the sauce thickens. When it becomes thick enough (estimate the density yourself, given personal preferences), add coriander, pepper and salt, and a minute later turn off the stove.
- Pour the sauce over the sauce and serve with any side dish.
Be sure to make a bbq, this dish will appeal to all households and guests!
Date: 09.10.2018, 08:31 / Views: 44565
Autumn origami maple leaf: master class with step by step photo
We sew a toy cat Simon with his own hands
Why hair in the groin
What is a coagulogram and why do it
Thread Accessories - Macrame technique