Poblano and Turkey Sausage Casserole
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 306 | Total Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 137mg | Sodium: 506mg | Carbohydrates: 19g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 22g | SmartPoints: 9
- 2 poblano peppers, cut in half length wise, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey sausage, our recipe for sausage
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 5 egg whites
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups shredded hash browns
For Tomato Avocado Topping:
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
For the casserole:
- Preheat oven to high broil.
- Coat each pepper half with olive oil and place on a cookie sheet, skin side up. Place under the broiler for 10 to 15 minutes or until peppers are charred. Remove from oven, using tongs quickly place charred peppers in a small bowl, tightly cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Reduce preheated oven temperature to 350 degrees and lightly spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with non stick spray.
- In a medium skillet, cook turkey sausage breaking up in to pieces as it cooks. When the sausage is about half cooked, add the onion and continue to cook until onion is translucent and no pink remains in sausage. Remove from stove, drain any excess fat, and allow to cool.
- While the sausage is cooling, remove peppers from bowl and scrape off the charred skin. Dice the pepper flesh into small cubes and stir into the sausage and onion mix.
- In a large bowl whisk together egg whites, eggs, milk, yogurt, salt, and pepper. Whisk until little to no yogurt clumps remain. Add sausage, pepper, and onion mix, cheese, and hash browns. Mix well and hash browns are completely coated in egg mix.
- Pour into casserole dish, cover with foil and bake for about 1 hour. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until top begins to brown. Allow casserole to sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Top with tomato avocado topping.
For Tomato Avocado Topping:
- Lightly mash the avocado. Add remaining ingredients and mix will.
Video: How To Make Chile Relleno with Chorizo Casserole By Rachael
How to Get Monotonous Jobs Done Accurately and Quickly
9 Everyday Asthma Symptom Soothers
35 Hair Color Ideas for Winter to Bring To Your Stylist RightNow
Anna Sui Fairy Dance 2012 Summer Fragrance
Hey girl Ryan Gosling the feminist
Life Advice from Conrad Anker
Vitamin A For Acne: Is it An Effective Treatment
Heres What Prince Harry and Meghan Markles Wedding Might Be Like
How to Make Cheesy Garlic Bread
7 Things You Need to Know About the Venomous Spider That Bit Meghan Linsey
JK Rowling Can Do What She Wants With Her Money, No
Kate Moss’s Anti-Paparazzi T-Shirt Is BeyondBrilliant
We Quit Our Jobs to Travel the World. This Is Exactly How We Pay for It