How to Be a Modern Hippie
Becoming a hippie can be a refreshing and rewarding experience. However, now that times have changed, the ideas and looks of hippies have also changed dramatically. Many pair drug use with modern hippies, and for many in the culture, this is true. Pursue the hippie lifestyle if you feel a natural inclination towards the ideology and aesthetic, but not for the drug culture surrounding it.
Practicing a Hippie Diet
Eat organic foods.Try to buy organic foods and avoid genetically modified foods at all costs. Hippie’s find that it is better for the earth and healthier for the body. Hippies nowadays and in the past ate to sustain themselves and the planet. A reason hippies eat this way is because they treat their bodies like a temple. This is why you should pick out the purest ingredients available.
- Check labels at your local grocery store. They usually have stickers or a sign on the box saying if they are organic and 100% organic.
- Visit healthy grocery stores to guarantee finding quality ingredients.
Support local farms.One way in supporting your local community is by buying produce or meats directly from the farmer who grows it. You can do this by attending a local farmer’s market. If you have the time, become involved with the local farmers in your community.
- One important value of the modern hippie is sustainability, and part of this includes avoiding the processed food industry.
- Growing your own food is also a viable option for getting the best quality. Volunteer with a local garden to get started into the local gardening community.
Eat a vegetarian diet.Vegetarianism isn't for everyone, but a lot of hippies are vegetarian. Hippies go vegetarian because of their love for animals and their stance against violence. Industrial cattle farming is one of the highest producers of toxic emissions. It is better for your body and the environment to eat a plant based diet.
- If you are struggling with giving up meat, you can take steps to lower your weekly meat intake. Start slowly, and progressively work to cut it from your diet.
- If you do eat meat, purchase hormone free meats.
Avoid toxins.One way to treat your body like a temple is to cut out toxin from your life. Dietary toxins can contribute to causing many modern diseases. Replace foods that contain dietary toxins like crackers or soda with vitalizing foods like quinoa and blueberries. The four largest dietary toxins that can be found in a wide array of processed foods are:
- Refined cereal grains
- Industrial seed oils
- Processed soy
Drink kombucha regularly.Kombucha is fermented tea that ancient Chinese called the “immortal health elixir”. The health benefits from drinking kombucha are tremendous when consumed on a regular basis. You can either buy kombucha or brew your own by fermenting tea yourself. Here are some of the health benefits:
- Detoxifying effects like protecting the health of your liver and cancer prevention.
- It protects your joints and prevents diseases like arthritis.
- Kombucha aids and protects the health of your gut by containing probiotics.
Dressing Like a Modern Hippie
Let your hair down.Hippies traditionally and to this day have long hair. It isn’t required, but for both girls and guys, natural, long hair is viewed as hippie. Don't use a flat iron or a curling iron, but instead let the hair do its natural thing.
- Many modern hippies also like to dread their hair. This can take some time.
- Hippie girls usually wear their hair long and wavy without any coloring.
Dress like a hippie.Hippies usually wear long, flowing shirts, long skirts, tie dye, bell bottom pants, halter tops, headbands, and clothing items with floral prints. Thrift stores often sell clothing like this for a good price. You can also make your own clothing or buy from individual stores that aren't brand name.
- Modern hippies who follow electronic music closely wear flat brimmed hats and attach metal twined crystals.
Don’t wear makeup.Try to go all natural without makeup, but if you do decide to wear makeup (some girls don't feel comfortable going out of the house without it on), put on a natural look. For example, instead of using that black lipstick, wear a light peach or pink color instead. Use natural products that don't contain harmful chemicals.
Let all of your hair grow.Boys normally have facial hair, but if you have trouble growing facial hair, don’t sweat it. It’s also a popular choice for girls to stop shaving. If you’re uncomfortable keeping your leg hair, just grow out your arm pit hair. Modern hippies get clumped into the “granola” category which values natural people in all facets.
Wear sandals.The classic shoe in the heyday of hippies was Birkenstocks, but today the sandal has changed. You could still wear Birkenstocks or a similar look, but more modern hippies are wearing Chacos and Tevas. Chacos and Tevas are built to be durable and comfortable sandals regardless of weather conditions.
Accessorize like a hippie.Modern hippies enjoy crystals and jewelry that incorporates crystal healing. Other popular forms of jewelry are various stones and natural rocks that are artfully wrapped in copper wire. The old school hippie wore large straw hats, but today the flat brimmed hats are popular.
- Fanny packs are also a popular bags for modern hippies to carry around.
Use essential oils.Modern hippies don’t use deodorants that are mainstream and can be found in a drug store. Instead, you should go to a natural foods store and find a scent of essential oil to wear as a fragrance. A popular scent among modern hippies is patchouli, but you can use whatever catches your nostrils.
Thinking Like a Modern Hippie
Be an individual.Hippies are all about being themselves. If you don't agree with something, voice your opinion! Don't just agree with things to seem "cool" or "like everyone else." Hippies aren't like that.
Be calm, cool, and collected.Hippies are usually laid back and aren't stressful. If you have something that is stressing you out, take deep breaths and sit back for a few minutes. If you have tendencies of being stressed out, begin practicing transcendental meditation.Transcendental meditation was popular in the 1960s and currently it is becoming a well-respected practice that holds many health benefits.
- Seek out a meditation center that specializes in transcendental meditation.
- Another combatant to stressors is to practice yoga and philosophies of yogis.
Get in touch with nature.Get some fresh air and feel the sun on your skin. Old school hippies believed that nature itself contains the answers to life’s most important questions. The old mentality was to show respect to mother nature and be in contact with our natural animal essence that is repressed through culture.Take time off to go on hikes.
- Try your hand at backpacking. Go for days or weeks living off a limited amount of supplies and the wilderness.
Consider staying away from drugs.Know that you don’t need to get into drugs because you want to be a hippie. Hippies have always been known for experimenting with drugs. Today we know more about the dangers, long-term effects, and the costs of addiction from practicing recreational drugs. Don't start just because you want to look more like a hippie. Many modern hippies are focused on getting a "natural high" through meditation and spirituality.
- Many hippies from the past and today connect strongly to eastern religions like Buddhism and Taoism.
Be open minded.Accept other people's beliefs and accept that not everyone is going to have the same view on an issue that you do. If someone is bothering you with their opinion, try to see the argument from their point of view. There are two sides to every opinion and you should try to listen to everyone without becoming angry.
Be intellectually curious.Read as much as you possibly can. If you’re still in school, pay attention in class and strive for good grades. True hippies are very intelligent and aren't ignorant about issues going around them. Branch out to subjects like philosophy and environmental science. Here is a quick list of books you should read:
- Howl by Allen Ginsberg
- Be Here Now by Ram Dass
- On the Road by Jack Kerouac
- The Bhagavad Gita
- The Stranger by Albert Camus
- Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth by R. Buckminster Fuller
- Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
- I Ching
- Back to Eden by Jethro Kloss
Care for the environment.Recycle as much as possible. Never throw trash onto the ground. As a modern hippie, or a granola, your mentality is to save the planet, not to pollute it. Plant flowers and trees instead of cutting them down. Reduce on your water and paper consumption. Practice the three R’s of environmentalism:
Caring About Music
Listen to the oldies.Classic hippie music is older music, typically rock n' roll, from the 1960s and 1970s. This time period was when hippie counterculture was skyrocketing. You shouldn’t force yourself to listen to oldies if you don't like it. There are plenty of other music styles that are deemed modern hippie. Give these classic albums a chance before you dismiss it:
- The Doors by The Doors
- Forever Changes by Love
- Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane
- Deja Vu by CSNY
- Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix
- Blond on Blond by Bob Dylan
- IV by Led Zeppelin
- Anthem of the Sun by Grateful Dead
- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles
- If You can Believe Your Eyes and Ears by The Mamas and the Papas
Get into electronic music.One large distinction of modern hippies compared to the older generation is the newer strides in electronic music. Many young people who identify as being a hippie also prefer newer styles of psychedelic electronic music. Bands like Shpongle or Infected Mushroom make up examples of the genre, psytrance, which has become very popular with modern hippies.
- A large connotation with this type of music and concert experience is with drug experimentation.
- Electronic hippie music is also rooted deeply in jam band music.
Respect jam bands.A staple of the hippie movement is in centered around jam bands. They’ve been a staple since The Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers and have since evolved throughout the decades. It is not necessary to like jam bands, but most connotations of a hippie imply an appreciation or knowledge of jam bands.Newer offshoots from the first generation of jam bands are:
- Widespread Panic
- The String Cheese Incident
- There are also many genre offshoots that cross into other genres like bluegrass, Yonder Mountain String Band, and dance music, Disco Biscuits.
Attend music festivals.Since Woodstock and Monterey Pop festival, more and more music festivals have popped up around the world. One of the biggest festivals for modern hippies is Burning Man, in which the regular festival attendees are called “burners.”
- Another traveling large festival for hippies is called Rainbow Gathering.
- There are tons of music festivals year round and almost all of them feature a "hippie band".
To be a modern hippie, dress in clothing such as long, flowing skirts and bell bottoms in tie dye and floral patterns. Accessorize with jewelry made from stones and crystals, and use essential oils instead of deodorant. Work on long-term changes, like becoming a vegetarian and buying organic foods. Additionally, avoid toxins such as sugar, processed soy and refined grains. Instead of recreational drugs, focus on getting a natural high through spirituality and meditation.
- Be yourself and have fun!
- Try to be a liberal as that is the main hippie political belief.
- Learn martial arts like tai chi (not to hurt other people.)
- Get into the arts like poetry, music, and drawing/painting/creating
- People aren't going to believe in the same beliefs that you do. Accept that fact and respect their opinions. Who cares if someone sees something differently? Everyone was born to be different anyway.
- If something is nearby, try to walk or use a bicycle instead of driving.
- Learn an instrument like the guitar or the ukulele.
- Try to be calm and content. Hippies are also usually optimists!
- Become a vegan.
- Don't let other people try to tell you who you are or what you should be. People are going to be judgmental so be prepared!
- Don’t appropriate eastern cultures because you think it looks cool.
- There are more negative effects to using drugs than there are positive effects.
Video: The Modern Hippie
17 Celeb Quotes About Self-Love For When You Have a RoughDay
Muffin Top Makeover – 9 Ways to Whittle Your Waist
Champion Clothing: AW14 Collection
8 millennial food trends that are completely overrated
How to Determine Which Breed of Corydoras is Best for Your Aquarium
How to Prevent Headaches After Air Travel
How to Treat Nerve Pain Caused by Shingles
Baked Salmon Fillets
The Fast Diet
13 Recipes Using Your Favorite Fall Ingredients
How to Use Vermiculite in a Container Garden
10 Tips to Help You Make It Through Your First Few Weeks of Being Paleo
La borsa a forma di box di patatine di Kim Kardashian ti fa brillare gli occhi in un lampo