Face Yoga 101: 4 Anti-Ageing Exercises to Do Instead of Facelifts
Ommm.That’s the sound we want to make whenever we start this workout. It’s yoga, but unlike any yoga sequence we’ve tried before—no downward dogs or chaturangas here. No, this yoga workout is for the face. The same principles apply though—move your muscles to tighten their appearance. It’s simple, really. Fumiko Takatsu, the creator of the Face Yoga Method, says a few minutes of daily stretching will lift and tone all over. To ensure we make the most of those minutes, we asked her to give us four exercises that would smooth lines, lift eyes, tone cheeks, tighten necks, and more.
Scroll through to see the step-by-step tutorials!
Benefit:Prevents wrinkles by relaxing the forehead muscles and using acupressure to remove tension.
1. Make a fist with both hands. Place the middle and index finger knuckles in the center of your forehead and apply firm pressure.
2. Maintain the pressure as you slowly slide your fists out to each side.
3. End by gently pressing your knuckles into your temples.
4. Repeat four more times.
Benefit:Tightens the neck and jawline to prevent sagging and firm up double chins.
1. Pucker your lips over to one side as much as you can (you should feel a stretch in your cheek).
2. Turn your head to that side, lifting your head up at about a 45-degree angle. Feel the stretch in your neck.
3. Hold for three seconds. Repeat.
4. Repeat on the other side.
Benefit:Smooths the nasolabial fold lines (aka smiles lines) and lifts the eyes and cheeks.
1. Place both palms on your temples.
2. Push your hands up and back, lifting the sides of your face.
3. Open your mouth and make an “O” shape. Drop your jaw to make your face as long as possible.
4. Hold this pose for five seconds. Repeat two more times.
Benefit:Lifts drooping eyelids and sagging skin all over and smooths the nasolabial folds.
1. Press your shoulders down and lift one arm straight up, and then drop that arm over your head to place your fingertips on your temple.
2. Gently press down with your fingertips to lift your face up and back, and then drop your head over to your shoulder, keeping your chest open.
3. Hold this pose while you slowly breathe out through your mouth.
4. To take the pose a step further, reach your other arm out at a 45-degree angle and when you exhale stick your tongue out down towards the ground.
5. Do the other side and repeat all the way through.
Your finger placement is key for this exercise, so be sure to check your form in the mirror. You’ll want your ring finger placed at the outer corner of your eyebrow and your ring finger on your temple. Hold that placement as you move through the pose.
Video: FACE YOGA 101 WITH RANJANA KHAN
How Home Pregnancy Tests Have Changed the Whole Game
Parkinsons Biomarker Test May Help Prognosis, Study Says
How to Make Evaporated Milk
Here is The First Look of The L’Oréal X Balmain Lipstick Collection
How to Fade a Beard Neckline
Financial Stress and Wellness: Understanding the Problem
Be yourself at work, mostly
Found: A Perfect Silk Two-Piece Outfit From New York Label In God WeTrust
5 Things Your Girlfriend Wont Tell You
Caregiving Made Easier: Resources That Can Help
How to Make Cheesy Garlic Bread