Even Better Banana Muffins
Q:"The bakery where I stop for coffee sells decadent banana-nut muffins. They must be off the charts when it comes to calories. Do you have a lighter recipe so I can resist the temptation and bake my own?" –Christi Bruce, Bridgewater, NJ
A:We do! Homemade muffins provide a smarter portion size than commercial options, but low-fat versions often yield dry and tasteless results. We used healthier fats in just the right amounts to keep our muffins moist yet light, and filled them with yummy fruit and nuts. Our solution has 27% fewer calories, 20% more fiber, and 35% less sugar than an equivalent bakery muffin.
WORK TIME: 10 Minutes / TOTAL TIME: 30 Minutes / YIELD: 8 Muffins
1½ c all-purpose flour
½ c brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 c mashed ripe banana (2-3 bananas)
1 lg egg
¼ c light butter spread, melted
¼ c 1% buttermilk
3 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
⅓ c + 2 tbsp chopped walnuts, divided
1. HEAToven to 350°F. Coat 8 cups of a standard-size muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. WHISK flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl.
3. MIX banana, egg, spread, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract in large bowl until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture and stir until blended. Add ⅓ cup of the walnuts and mix thoroughly.
4. FILLmuffin cups three-quarters full. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons walnuts over tops.
5. BAKEuntil a wooden pick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.
Video: Easy Homemade Banana Muffins Recipe with Chocolate Chips
How Supermodel Natalia Vodianova Combats Jet-Lagged Skin
5 Diet Changes That Can Help You Fight Chronic Fatigue
Kylie Jenner Really Not Into Having Caitlyn Jenners Face On Her Underwear
15 Bold Fall Manicure Ideas To Get Inspired
5 ways to stop craving junk food
How to Accept Criticism While at Work
Braise the steaks
Asian Turkey Wraps
The Fast Diet
How to make natural face cleansers at home
How to boost your memory with yoga
How to Have a Great Day at School
How to Make Pixel Art Dolls
Tomato-Coconut Soup with Spiced Chickpeas